Thursday, July 27, 2017

Angamaly Diaries

It's about a week since we watched this movie in the theatre. What still is etched in the movie watcher's mind is definitely the "pork" business. The impact is so deep! One may wonder if the movie didn't have anything else. But as I said the movie's largest impact especially on a hard core veggie is, "How the hell does someone even do this pork thingy as a business!!!" Cruel and nauseating, I say. That in itself is the director's success.
No known faces (or probably just one). And too many characters. A different dialect (Angamaly dialect??) which is difficult to follow. And my usual problem with subtitles is I miss out on actions and gestures and facial expressions if I focus on subtitles. So, I must admit that I was scampering between the subtitles, the actors' expressions, the actions on screen and many such other elements. Not a great movie watching experience.
However, do not want to discount on many great aspects. First, as with many Malayalam movies, it's 'ek dham' natural. I felt like I was sitting in the centre of Angamaly as events unfold. Excellent! Characters were so beautifully cast. The story telling reminds us of Premam. The hero guy is a poorer version of Nivin Pauly. His love interests remind us of Premam again. He has done well for a debut. And all the other actors have measured up to their roles perfectly. It's funny to see how the grousiest of enemies can become frenemies so swiftly and quickly!

The climax is shocking. But we all know how karma pays off, don't we? Overall, probably had I followed the dialect very well, it would have been a fantastic movie. My lack of language skills should not berate a good movie!

No comments: