Thursday, February 21, 2008

My first interview…a debacle!

Last semester in the college; lots of campus interview schedules were posted on the notice boards. Friends had all of a sudden turned competitors in life. Everything looked challenging and strange. A whole host of Aptitude Tests, GDs (no, not my name…I meant the Group Discussions), Tech Interviews and Personal Interviews were happening all around. There were shouts of joy and ramblings of disappointments…

I was nervous. I had to attend interviews too. But I had stumbling blocks in the Aptis and GDs (you see, GDs in any form is a pain!). There was this company (anonymity maintained, so that my reputation is saved!) who had called for an interview first. So there I was in my first interview without having to undergo (and fail) any of the tests and discussions.

At the appointed hour, I presented myself, in front of the interview panel. It was a 4 member team. The job was for a ‘Marketing’ position. I have always been proud of my gift of the gab! So I was sure to talk my way through.

After the initial round of introductions and background stories (in which I gave an exemplary performance), one of the interviewers asked me (straight in my eye): “What would you propose as a marketing strategy for marketing product x in India?” I am not joking but I could kind of feel my head spin. I thought, and thought and thought…then I said. “Look, I have a mental block. I am unable to answer this question.”

I guess the interviewer empathized with me. He asked me to sip the water from the glass kept there and asked me some other ‘general’ questions about our campus-life and degree and all that. I was so bright in answering all these questions. Then after a few minutes, another guy shot the second question “What are the various marketing techniques that you have come across?” Once again, I went blank… Once again, I had the same feeling of my head-spinning…Once again, I thought, and thought and thought…Once again, I said (a little bit apologetically), “See, I have a mental block. Can I answer this question after sometime?” The panel members looked at each other. I felt like killing myself as I knew very well that look meant “What the hell is she here for?”

They were growing impatient with my ‘mental block’. So again a couple of other light-weight questions/discussions. By now, the third interviewer asked me “Now, let me give you a case study. Let us say, your area is not yielding results in marketing product y. How will you approach this problem and meet your targets?” Needless to say, I said the same words again, shamelessly.

The panel now became silent. Now they asked me if I had any questions. If I had had the experience that I have today, I would have understood what that meant. But so gullible that I was, that I asked them “Do I stand a chance to be offered an appointment in your esteemed organization?”

The look that the interviewers gave me now, conveyed that my ‘mental block’ was transferred to them… if only they had had the power to bring me down to ashes, I am sure they would have done that. Thankfully, I escaped!!!

7 comments:

Vasu said...

GD, really nice to see you getting into blogging. Look forward to lot of articles on process, quality, project management etc.

Mithun Roshan said...

How many people had ‘mental’ block reading this article? GD, waiting for your second interview experience!

Unknown said...

kelambeettangayya kelambeettanga! :-)

Umamaheswari said...

Super! Nice to hear all such incidents. Expecting more fun filled stories in your blog!!!

GD said...

Vasu - thanks! I was not sure if you were still alive ;-) I will soon be writing on all the topics you have mentioned and also about our play goof-ups! Look out...

Mithun - you have to tell me if you had one! I know it was a lengthy one...and hence may be all of you had a 'mental block' reading through it fully? ;-)

Unknown said...

Pretty good for starters. Good sense of humour, ability to laugh at yourself and the best was “Do I stand a chance to be offered an appointment in your esteemed organization?”

Happy blogging.

Kumar said...

Ability to laugh at oneself is a great trait that many people don't possess. Way to go! Looking forward to more such blogs.